In my Mail Box:
From James Paterson | Thursday, 24 October 2013
Last week we told you about how free markets make everything better. So it’s only fair and balanced that we tell you the other side of the story too. Government regulation makes everything worse:
For a great explanation of why governments have made housing expensive, read this from our very own Dr Alan Moran.
Our very own Sinclair Davidson, also a professor at RMIT, was recognised on Monday for hismammoth contribution to public debate. Here are three of Sinclair’s best hits:
- The time he exposed Treasury for using misleading graphs and data to justify stimulus spending during the global financial crisis
- The time he exposed the Rudd and Gillard governments’ failed mining tax
- And his demolition of the Rudd government’s mad FuelWatch scheme
And who knew tennis star Andre Agassi was a closet fan of the free market?
Meanwhile, this is a great article…in The Age…by an art critic and academic…on how terrible Canberra is and the folly of government planning. I wouldn’t believe me either.
Hate the Nanny State? Then you’ll love this completely free online 1 hour 45 minute documentaryfrom 2009, Fat Head, which exposes the flawed arguments of paternalists.
If you’re in Melbourne next Thursday don’t miss this important discussion of a new book from Connor Court, co-edited by the IPA’s Tim Wilson, Turning left or right.
Here’s what else the IPA said this week:
- Chris Berg, Broadband is just the start of Turnbull’s minefield – The Drum
- Simon Breheny, Abolish anti-scalping laws – FreedomWatch
- Tim Wilson, “I didn’t choose to eat badly, it was the disease“ – FreedomWatch
- Simon Breheny, Leyonhjelm comes out swinging on property rights – FreedomWatch
- John Roskam, It’s high time to abolish the ACCC – Australian Financial Review
- Simon Breheny, Tanning beds banned in Victoria – FreedomWatch
- Simon Breheny, Right to be forgotten? Forget it – FreedomWatch