The person responsible for Mrs Fischer’s memorial and setting up the museum was Wendy Dorrington.
The collection largely was a private one owned by the postmaster of the eighties Jim Batey with his wife
Ruth who still lives on the island. Wendy obtained a grant from Redland City Council and the collection was
purchased with Redland Museum at Cleveland being the “auspicious body for SMBIM” in 2006.
Gwendoline Fischer and her husband Jay first took up land on Russell Island in 1906, purchasing 120 acres at a cost of 2 shilling and 6 pence per acre and later acquired another 80 acres. They called the farm “Rehcsif” which is Fischer spelt backwards and grew a variety of fruit and vegetables, made jams and conserves and also ran a pineapple pulping factory under there home whilst caring for 13 children. Mrs Fischers is the only recognised european grave site on Russell…
View original post 310 more words